Friday, February 8, 2008

R Family Fartlek?

When we were trying to think of names for this blog, Troy came up with the above suggestion. Is fartlek even a real word? Yes, and apparently runners know what it means. Here are a couple definitions:

"Fartlek is a Swedish term that means 'speed play' or playing with speed. It is a very natural way of running that can be closely associated with children running around during playtime."

And

"A training technique, used esp. among runners, consisting of bursts of intense effort loosely alternating with less strenuous activity."

Troy thought it was appropriate because it's similar to the experience of raising kids, plus Uncle Adam (among others, I'm sure) would love for little Grant to be a runner like his dad. To give you an idea of what kind of pressure litte Grant is seeing already, uncle Adam has been calling him "Pre" pretty much since day one. For those of you who don't know who "Pre" is see Steve Prefontaine. Adam even got Grant a little "Go Pre" t-shirt and "Stop Pre" bib for Christmas. No pressure, Grant. :)

Anyway, back on topic, Fartlek. No one else even knows what fartlek means, plus it starts with fart, so I had to veto it. R Family Story it is. :)

2 comments:

Kathy Rausch said...

Hey....what about "Dang?" I thought we decided on that nickname at Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Wow, fartlek? There are some words that are just never going to catch on, and that's definitely one of them. I'm not sure what time Mandy will be at work today, but I can't wait to show her the "buckeye fan" picture! Hope you're doing well!!